Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Would you like to help?

A few days ago I was watching our local news and they have this thing on there called "hometown hero"  Anyway as I watched I got really emotional.  It really touched my heart at what this group of people were doing with no government funding.  They strictly do this with donations only.  Please click on the news clip and watch.  

You are probably wondering what I am talking about.  The organization is called "For Jamie's Sake"  Please read their mission statement on their website.

Their services include:



  • Informative brochures and pamphlets about foster care and adoption agencies for those seeking to foster or adopt
  • Books- available for checkout- (pertaining to foster care and adoption issues)
  • Clothing Closet- we provide clothing, shoes, pajamas, and much more for the children or families in need
  • Pillow Pals- we provide new standard size pillows for children in foster care
  • Luggage of Love- the items that we provide from the clothing closet are placed into a piece of luggage. This piece of luggage is for the child to keep. Nothing is sent out in garbage bags.
  • Birthday Parties for children in foster care- we provide the birthday cake, a present, and decorations for the party
  • *SNAP (Special Needs Adoption Program) Christmas Party
  • Adoption License Plate- the first ever!
  • “Wish Upon A Star”- we will make a wish come true for children in foster care (for example: sport camps, music classes, class trips, etc.)
  • Journey Home- one day awareness event in May to make the community aware about foster care *coming again 2011*
  • Easter baskets for children in foster care- we provide an Easter basket filled with candy and toys for the children
  • “You Sure Are Sweet”- social workers, foster parents, or teachers can nominate a child in foster care that deserves to be recognized for an accomplishment (good grades, good behavior, making a school team, etc.)
  • Adoption Celebrations- celebrating at the courthouse with parents and children on their newly created “forever families”
  • All God’s Children- seeking churches to sponsor a child in *SNAP (Special Needs Adoption Program) for a year long commitment. We want the church to pray for a “forever family” for the child their sponsoring. Other ways of sponsoring the child is sending birthday cards, Easter baskets, school supplies, etc. The purpose for this campaign is simple; forever families for the children or lifelong commitments are made for the children with the church family.


Please go to their website and read more about it.  So I had this on my mind the biggest part of the morning.  I kept wondering, "what can I do to help?"  I got back on their website and saw their WISHLIST.  I saw that they give pillows to all of the children that are in foster care.  Pillows and pillowcases were on the wishlist.  So this is where WE can help!  I would love to donate a ton of pillowcases to them.  Of course, I can't make a million on my own and I'm not asking for a million.......only 100.  With your help we could easily donate 100 pillowcases to be distributed to these children.  I spoke with the lady over this and she said they would greatly accept our donation.  I've noticed even with my own children that a quilt or even a special pillow can comfort them when they are feeling a little down and give them a sense of security. 

So, if you would like to help, please contact me through email.     layne1142 (at) yahoo (dot) com.  

Any amount of pillowcases would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't matter if it is 1 or 15.  As of right now I would like to set a deadline of October 31st.  I will deliver them myself with documentation with the names of the people that donate.  

Here's all of the information that you may need:

Deadline:  October 31st, 2012

Pillowcases to fit a standard size pillow

There are so many free pillowcase tutorials out there, they are very quick and easy to make.  

Please use fabrics that would be suitable for children of all ages.  

Please press before shipping them.

If you are interested in helping, please email me and let me know "approximately" how many you plan on donating and your name.  I will give you my mailing address so you will know where to ship them.  

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO OTHERS IF YOU WOULD LIKE.

Thank you so very much!
Kristie 
layne1142 (at) yahoo (dot) com




    3 comments:

    Janet O. said...

    Good of you to take on this project, Kristie. I will be in touch.

    Deb A said...

    I shot an e-mail and plan on at least 3.

    Libby said...

    Sent you an email! So sweet of you to do this!