Thursday, October 26, 2017

Practicing some machine applique

 Yesterday didn't go as planned at all.  LOL!  I am running a tad behind on customer quilts and I could not make myself work on them at all yesterday.  I did play around with some applique!  LOL!

A few days ago Richard fixed my old Brother embroidery machine.  The automatic thread cutter was stuck and we could not get it to go back over no matter what we tried.  Out of 30+ machines this is my only computerized machine.  So as it stood, the machine was not working at all and was just useless so I told him to just break that thing out of there and if it worked...great and if it didn't, oh well.  He broke it out of there and the machine works perfectly except now I have to cut my own thread.  

Anyway...I was given this GO! Die so I wanted to play around and figure out the applique stitch that I liked best. 
 I cut out a few of them to just play around with to get my stitching adjusted correctly.  These are just from scraps and will not be used for anything. 
 This is the first one that I did.  I used white thread just so I could see it better.  I had to do some adjusting as the stitches were not even so I did a few more...
 By the time I did this red and blue one I was fairly pleased with the stitches and just stopped there with it. 
 I have several applique patterns that I plan on working on sometime in the future.  At this point, it will probably be after the holidays.  I don't have a huge selection of thread colors either right now so that is something that I will need to get.  

Mom had a doctor's appointment today with the orthopedic but she is sick and canceled it.  She is still off work due to her fall but now she has a bad cold/allergies.  It seems like very time that she gets sick like that she quickly ends up with bronchitis.  I am going to try to get her to go to her regular doctor later today if she will.  

Our original plan was for us to go together today in her car since we are still down to one vehicle and Richard is working today.  We were going to go to her orthopedic appointment which is about a hour away and then stop in town on the way back and do the grocery shopping.  If she doesn't want to go to the doctor for her cold then I will probably borrow her car and go do the shopping for the both of us.  At this point, I am just waiting for her to get up, call me so I can see how she is feeling and plan my day.  I can't wait for her to retire next Fall, I worry so much about her. 

After getting the groceries and stuff put away, I will have to MAKE MYSELF go upstairs and get some quilting done.  I need to do a little quilting marathon to get caught up again.  That probably will not happen this weekend.  :)  Richard is off work this weekend and I never seem to get anything done while he is home.  Also Sunday after Church we are having a little family dinner here at the house.  Nothing at all fancy, just hotdogs with homemade sauce and such.  There will be 12 here counting us.  Andrew will not be here because he will be taking one of his clients to a football game in Cincinnati and that is several hours away.  That worries this momma to death.  A mother never stops worrying about her kids and all I can do is pray for a safe trip. 

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I was practicing on that same stitch yesterday to see how I like it and if I would be able to do it. Is your mother very old that you worry about her so much? I have a feeling she is around my age but you see her as old LOL Have a fun weekend with your family.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

"A momma never stops worrying about her kids." How true that statement is. I never, ever stop worrying about my boy despite how great of a young man he has become. Glad you were able to get your machine fixed. Those Sunbonnet Sue blocks look fantastic.

Janet O. said...

Very cute Sunbonnet Sues. You could just stitch them down with black thread. That was the way some 30s applique was attached. I have two vintage applique pieces that were completely appliqued with black thread--one was blanket stitch and the other was satin stitch.
I hope your Mom feels better very soon!