Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Just a little update

 Sheewwww...I am tired!  It is odd how everything falls apart when the power goes off.  My house was a wreck!  I won't bore you with all of the details but our power went off on Friday as we had a big storm come through.  Not a lot of rain but mostly extremely high winds.  Trees and power lines down everywhere.  It was NOT fun at all with temps well over 100.  I just hate it for the ones that are still without power.  The local news people are saying that it still may be weeks before all power is restored.  


Right after the power went off on the 29th, I called the power company to report our outage and the recording said there was widespread outages and it could be July 6th before ours was restored.  Hunter started to panic and cry because his birthday party/cookout was scheduled for the next day....Saturday.  Yep, my baby turned 10!!!  Doesn't seem like he should be that old.  I hate to see my boys upset so I told him not to worry we would have his party anyway and I secretly prayed that power would be back on....


So we had his party with NO POWER!  It was sooooooo hot!  Thankfully Richard had filled up the water tank on the trailer (350 gallons) Friday morning.  It had been so hot and dry that we try to keep the extra water in the tank if needed for the farm animals.  We had about 25+ people show up and none of those had power either. It was hot but all went well in the end.  Hunter had a great time and we let the kids play with water balloons and water guns.  

While mom and I were waiting to pick up Hunter's cake we stopped by Goodwill.  On the last day of the month everything is half price.  So I found this sewing machine that was priced $8 but got it for $4!  I am well pleased with it.  When I had a chance to try it at home, it sewed perfect.  I didn't even have to adjust a thing!  Richard did take it apart and oil it for me anyway.  It is a Kenmore 158.  Made in 1977.  One thing that I like about it is the fact that it is NOT PLASTIC!!  As you can see it wasn't really that dirty but I did wipe it down and shine her up.  
Here is a photo of the bottom of the foot pedal.  It doesn't even look like it had been on the floor.  I didn't even have to clean it, this is how it looked when I got it out.  
 So my plan is to use this machine as my main machine for a while.  I played around on it for a bit today and I am well pleased with it so far.  


I really don't have anything "quilty" to show you since I've been without power.  Wouldn't you know that I didn't have any of my applique baskets ready to work on.  That just made me sick!!!  I did cut apart a million 2" HST's.  Remember my blue and white ones that I ran on to?  I thought I would never get them trimmed and actually I didn't get them ALL trimmed...only 920 of them!  LOL!  They still need pressed open and the paper peeled off, but I'll do that another time.  I think I still have about 400 more to trim.  :(  At least I have most of the done.  Can you imagine how long it will take to press all of these?  I'll have to do them a little at a time or I will go crazy!  LOL!  
 And last I will leave you with a photo that I snapped of Andrew Saturday morning.  He fell asleep in the recliner with his guitar and Iphone.  Silly boy!  I don't even have a clue as to why he had the computer chair over there????  Who knows....
 That's all for now, I'm tired and it has been a long day...
Kristie

6 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Those Kenmores with the 158 prefix are usually very, very good machines. I hope yours is too. (I think they may have some nylon gears inside, but am not sure.) Nevertheless, a super bargain!
Hope your power is restored soon!

Janet O. said...

What a steal on that sewing machine. And what a weekend you had!
Wow--that is a lot of HSTs to trim. Can't wait to see what comes of them. : )

Three Birds Inspired said...

I knew that big wind storm caused a lot of damage in Virginia but didn't realize the damage when as far south as y'all. I talk to folks every day that live in the Shenandoah Valley and most are still without power in this incredible heat. Glad you have power again and can get back to sewing! Great find at the Goodwill. The last machine I picked up there also was not plastic and truly looked like it had never been used and runs like a charm. It always makes me wonder about who owned before and why they didn't use it. If any of my machines end up in the Goodwill the next owner will KNOW they were used! Have a great 4th!!

lil red hen said...

Hearing this makes me ashamed to complain about our heat (108 so far today) because we do have AC, ice, etc. We also keep a large tank of water in case of fire; everything is a tender box here. The water supply for the cattle is getting very low; sure hope we don't have to start hauling water to them!

What a great find on the machine! It probably came from someone who thought she wanted to sew but didn't follow through with it.

Texan said...

Nice find on the Kenmore! I had a metal bodied Kenmore for 20 years an sewed that thing into the ground. It finally needed a new piece in the bobbin race and Sears said the part wasn't available, I was crushed. I loved that machine. It was a work horse! Hard to beat those old metal body Kenmores!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Congrats on the new machine!! Glad that it is working so well for you! How long were you without the power?