Thursday, March 28, 2019

A Special Quilt...

 Roughly 6 weeks ago or so my SIL, Kellie found a panel on Ebay I believe that she fell in love with.  My brother is a huge Civil War buff and she wanted to piece a quilt for their upcoming 19th anniversary. 
 She mostly does English Paper Piecing but is really good at piecing on the machine too but she just doesn't have enough confidence in herself.  I've quilted her machine pieced quilts before and they are good and square.  :)  Sooooo....she told me what she had in mind for the quilt that she wanted to make for my brother.  I told her that I would help her get it assembled. 
 I did cut and frame up the panel and attach it to the surrounding tumblers and she pieced and pieced hundreds of these tumblers.  She did every bit of those tumblers at WORK!  Yep!  At work!  She is a nurse at a peditrician's office and he is awesome about letting them quilt.  There are 3 ladies that work there and all 3 of them do EPP.  He says that as long as all the work is caught up and patients are taken care of that he doesn't mind at all.  He actually encourages them to be productive with something.  LOL!
 So we decided to do a fairly loose stipple and not over quilt the panel.  I also made sure that I quilted around and not over their faces because I didn't want to distort them. 
 She has a ton of awesome fabrics in this quilt.  Their anniversary is Monday April 1st so I figure she will give it to him this weekend.  I told her to video it as I can't wait to see his face. 
 After I got the center panel ready and back to her she sewed like a crazy lady getting all of those tumblers done and back to me.  I then trimmed it up and sewed the outer borders on.  Now like I said, it's not like she didn't know how to do it but she also didn't have a place to actually use the machine and get those sewn on without him seeing it. 
 Oh I forgot it is backed with a brown Minkie and we used Hobb's batting.  I will be doing the binding on it today.  She is so excited to give it to him. 

In the mail yesterday I received this charm pack.  I signed up for a monthly delivery at Green Fairy Quilts for a charm pack each month.  It's $9.99 and FREE SHIPPING!  The charm pack that I got is called Remix.  Not really my style but I'll keep them and use them in something.  :) 
 All for this post...

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you should be able to get a good mix of charm squares by getting them in the mail each month - I did that once with the little 2.5 and had a very good variety of squares already cut at the end of the year for a scrappy quilt

---"Love" said...

If your SIL got all those little tumblers together to make that big beautiful quilt, not only is she a great quilter, she surely must have the patience of Job! No doubt she appreciates all your help and your care in quilting it for her. I'm sure it will be loved! ---"Love"

Janet O. said...

Wow, a great collaboration on the CW quilt! I'm sure your brother will be thrilled.