Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Machines in waiting...

 I took a break early yesterday morning to do some cutting before I did anymore canning.  I am starting a new quilt!!!  It is a Craftsy class with Edyta Sitar called, Trail Mix.  I am very excited about this new quilt.  I love her patterns and she is very informative in her Craftsy class.  This is one of those quilts that you have to cut and sew very accurate.  

To start I needed to cut 300+  1 1/4" strips.  I got them all cut!
 The next step is to sew these into strip sets of twelve.  I only got 3 strip sets sewn and pressed.  At least I got a good start on it. 
 I haven't posted about these machines but they are piling up waiting to be cleaned and serviced.  Let me tell you about these.  The Singer on top, I bought at a yard sale for $5.  It sews, it just needs to be cleaned, oiled and such.  The middle machine...my mom bought a Singer machine in a cabinet at a yard sale and they threw this one in FREE just to get rid of it.  She gave it to me to see if it worked.  The cord is missing so I haven't been able to really check it out yet.  It is a Euro Pro.  The one in front, mom bought today at Goodwill.  It is priced $4.99 but she got it for 1/2 price.  I have one just like it already.  So $7.50 for 3 machines!
 My mom has always sewn for as long as I can remember.  She still has the sewing machine that she pieced all of my clothes on when I was a young child.  I think right now she has a total of 4 machines and when I service the Singer Fashion Mate (in front) I will send it home with her as well.  I think she is planning on doing a lot of sewing once she retires!  LOL!  

I did a little more canning.  5 more quarts of green beans and 9 pints of spicy chicken veggie soup.  I have about 4-5lbs of jalapenos that I will be canning later today.  I gave my brother a jar of the Cowboy Candy and he LOVED it!  So I am going to can him a batch. 
 I should know the date for my next hexie class later this afternoon.  They are having a meeting and setting the date and will contact me afterwards.  I gave them the dates that I was available in September so the rest is up to them.  I'm excited about doing this second class.  I just pray that it goes as well as the first one did. 

4 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

So much for any thoughts I might have had about signing up for the Trail Mix class ... as my cutting and sewing aren't always as accurate as they could/should be. I try ... I bought a cutter and I took a class on precision machine piecing, but I still fall short. :-(

I'm sure your next hexie class will be a success ... wouldn't it be interesting to follow up with your "students" in a few months and see if any of them have been bitten by the hexie bug?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

let me know how you like the Edyta Sitar class, I have thought of taking one of hers and I haven't. My cutting is not great - maybe if I buy one of the cutting machines I will then.

Janet O. said...

I had to look up that quilt before I commented. What a stunner! Just lovely!
You always find the best deals on machines!
I really admire your canning skills, Kristie.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Am currently working on my first hexie quilt and am loving it--would love to be closer to take a class