Monday, October 22, 2007

Cone Thread Stand

Finally, I get to post!!! It has been a long busy weekend. As you know we had Breanna down for the weekend, to celebrate her birthday. All went well with that. Saturday morning, Richard sawed at the mill most of the day, the kids played around and watched some movies. I finally got to put my binding on my sidetable runner. It matches the one I made for my coffee table. Now I need to made one more for the other sidetable. These are sure giving me practice with my stippling. I was glad to get this one done before anyone showed up for the party.
This is something that I have to show you all....I was looking at the Clotilde catalog and found a "Cone Thread Stand" My machine will only use the regular spools of thread. So I was debating on ordering it. I knew that it would be cheaper for me to use the cones. But with shipping it would have cost me around $14. Now not that I didn't have $14 but I am very cheap and I was trying to think of something else to use for this purpose. So I was telling Richard about it and showed him the catalog. He said "Just order it" but I didn't. I told him if he really loved me he would make me something to use. I said that it just had to have a heavy bottom and I wanted him to be creative....So this is what I got...He found a ROCK that was fairly flat but still had to grind it flatter. Took a piece of scrap wood from the sawmill and sanded it down round, added a piece of wire and it was done...


See I knew I loved this man for some reason! I tried it out and it works perfectly. So in the end I saved $14 and this one means more to me...
Kristie



6 comments:

Michelle said...

How cool is that!!!! I make my own too, out of wooden paper towel holders. I just add a cup hook to the side, of one of those twirly things that hold a pen to the top. Old cup tree holders work great too! Also those cheap plastic paper towel holders with a hold drilled through the top work good. Yours is so unique though! Who'd a thunk of a rock? Yours wins the prize!

Jen said...

That's not cheap, that's perfect!! Besides, mine is plastic and falls all the time. My mom has a super heavy one. Yours is awesome! If he's ever bored, can he find me a semi flat rock? =)

Jen said...

You know...I think you should take that with you to show off at guild!

Cindy said...

That is so awesome. I like that one much better than the one I have . Your's is more personal. Way to go Richard. I think he should go into the business.

Moneik said...

That conestand lookes awesome. I have a metal one I absolutely couldn't live without, until I got my 6600 and now I let Paul's mom use it with her machine. Richard is so creative.

Jeanne said...

Now that's a spool holder! Isn't it wonderful to have someone who can make what you need? And your holder is a one of a kind!