Monday, October 29, 2007

My day of sewing

It has cooled down here so much within the last week. I woke up this morning to a big frost and 29 degree weather. I got a chill and didn't think I would ever warm back up. So I guess it is time to start bringing in the firewood. Since I am home all of the time, through the winter months I try to keep a fire going in the fireplace. Not only do I enjoy looking at the fire but it keeps down on the heat bill.

I guess I really cheated on this one. I wanted so bad to get this top finished so that I wouldn't feel so guilty moving on to something else. I thought I had it all cut out, but couldn't find all of it...hmmm... Anyway, I decided to just finish it in to a baby quilt. I had all of the blocks shown here sewn together except for three of them. So I sewed the 3 together and added the borders on the top is done. I was thinking about how I would quilt it. I think right now I will just do some "crow footing", I haven't done that in a while and I like that alot better than tying them as far as looks go.


Today everyone has left me home alone. The boys, of course, are at school and Richard's vacation is over, so he is back to work today. He did not want to go back. I told him he was acting worse than the boys not wanting to go to school. It has been very lonely here today. I started cleaning the house, but got tired of that and finished this quilt top. Not sure yet what I will drag out to work on next. Maybe I will decide on that while I am finishing up the house.


2:10pm


Okay I thought I would try to finish the sampler top that I started several months ago. So I got out the book that the pattern is in.
Here is what the quilt will look like when finished. I only like three more blocks on it, but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to do it. This is the first sampler that I have ever done that the blocks are all different sizes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I just really don't want to work on it. So back in the box it goes....

Now this quilt pattern is also in the same book. It is called "Month by Month" but when I scaned the photo I forgot to flip it so it is actually showing backwards, oh well. But I'm sure you get the idea. This is a simple 12 block project that I think I will start. I know, I know, I need to finish some of my others first, but I'm just too tempted.





I think I will try to go ahead and get a block or two done before anyone gets home. The housecleaning will just have to wait. :o) I will be back in a little while with a block to post.



Okay, it is now around 3:15pm and I finished my first block. This is Block One, listed as ~January block. It took me a while to find my beige print. I had it folded up in another piece of fabric. I still need to add the block borders, but I think I will do all of those when I get ready to sew the complete top together. I will just cut those from scraps.

Now it is almost time for the boys to come home, so I will go ahead and post this. I will probably make another block tonight, I will post it then.
Kristie

4 comments:

Gina said...

I love the first sampler quilt. send it my way and I'll finish it for you.
I'll have to look out for that book so I can do it.

Anonymous said...

Kristie,
You do such nice work! I love the blocks in the new sampler. Both samplers are very pretty, I'll have to keep my eyes out for those books.
Deb (vtquilter)

Jen said...

Your block looks great and I'm glad you put off the cleaning for some YOU time. You deserve it!

Moneik said...

The blocks are really neat in the samplers. I think my mom got that book when we went to Lynette's studio. I know I have the heart block. She gave us each a pattern when we were there. We got to tour her studio/design shop and see how she designs fabric and patterns.