Thursday, February 2, 2012

On a roll...

The past couple of days I have been at the frame quilting, but my work week is almost finished! This weekend I will be cleaning up my sweat shop and working on my log cabin blocks. This is a quilt that I quilted for a lady and I also did the binding on it too. The quilt shop sells this as a kit and I think the pattern is called "5 to 9" My camera was going dead so the photos are not as bright as they should have been. This one measured 55x80. Here is an up close shot of the quilting. It is quilted with a panto called "lush leaves"
This is the one that I have been working on this morning. It's not very big something like 35x45. She is planning on using it for a wallhanging in the nursery. I think she said she got it at Joann's. At first she wanted an all over design quilted on it, but when I tried to do that I started getting huge skips when I hit the animals. It has a ton of layers so I think that is why it was skipping. The backing is flannel, warm & natural batting, the top is flannel with fleece applique animals. But like on the lion's nose, that is 7 layers thick!!! So I called her and explained this to her and she just said "do whatever you can with it" Now I am in the process of picking that out and plan on just outline stitching where I can without getting into the parts that have so many layers. That should work well and like I said she is not going to use it as a quilt but a wallhanging. I will be doing the binding on this one too. I should have it done sometime tonight and will be delivering both of them to the quilt shop in the morning.
That is about all that I have been doing. I have unpacked a couple more boxes, but a lot of those boxes can't be unpacked until we get some more stuff done on the house. I have a ton of kitchen stuff still boxed up, because my upper cabinets and island are not done yet. Hopefully we will start on those in a week or so. I also plan on jumping in and doing alot of painting too. We just needed a little break from having to rush around and work our butts off trying to get moved in. I'll post more house photos as we get things done. I'm really excited about getting some of the painting finished so that we can get the crown mouldings, baseboards, and door facings done.

I've been trying to get my quilting done during the day while I'm home alone that way I can have some family time during the evenings. Hunter still doesn't like school, but makes straight A's. When he gets home all he wants to do is play and burn some of that energy off from being at school all day. Andrew....I don't see alot of him. He is going to school full-time and working 2 jobs! So that is 7 days a week! I'm not sure how long he can stand that, but I am happy that he wants to work. Like I said he is going to school full-time and then working his main job at the behavioral health center on the weekends, 12 hour shifts on Saturday night and Sunday night from 8pm to 8am. Then his other job he is working at the taxidermist shop under the owner and learning that trade as well. I've always told my kids that you can never learn too many different things because you never know when you will need something else to fall back on someday. Anyway he is working there on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. And Richard.....he is still going to nursing school and graduates in May! :) Right now along with his class and lab work he is also doing clinicals at two different hospitals. Yesterday he got to assist with a delivery!! He was a little excited about getting to do that. was a 8lb boy! Other than that, nothing else has been going on.

Now I guess I had better get back to work. I have some laundry to do and then get back up to work in the sweat shop!


Libby said...

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well! and tell Richard "Congratulations!" and good luck to you with that baby quilt! Sounds like a challenge!

Janet O. said...

That is a cute quilt, and I think the outline quilting will look good.
Can't wait to see some house photos when you get some things done that you want to share.
Andrew is awfully busy, but that is so smart to learn all you can.
So glad Richard is so near graduation.
BTW, I wish I'd had a boy as small as 8 lbs. Seriously--one son was over 9 lbs., the other was over 10. My girls were both under 8. Go figure!

lil red hen said...

Dear, you just have to be the busiest little bee I know of! How you do all this is beyond me. Your work is so well done! And indeed, it is wonderful that your son is learning more than one thing to rely on for work. That's a rare thing today I think.

I'm anxious to see photos of your new house.

Yvette said...

Kristie, it is so great to see how you raise your boys with morals and ethics. I see so many kids just running around and taking advantage of their parents. You should teach a parenting class.