Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ready to be assembled

 I finished up ALL of my Churn Dash blocks!  :)  I have 30 of them for a 5x6 setting.  Here are half of the blocks up on the design wall.  I will start sewing them together this evening as Richard is working tonight.  I'm still not sure what I will use for the border yet. 
 This is the stack of the other 15 for the bottom half of the quilt. 

 A couple of days ago while at Walmart shopping for groceries and household supplies I found the clearance isle.  I usually don't tend to spend money on things that are not absolutely needed BUT...I couldn't pass these up!  I found 2 Fiskars Rotating Cutting Mats for the cost of....
 See that sticker????  $2.00!!!  I grabbed both of them as fast as I could.  LOL!  I know that some people do not like them but I had one a few years ago and it worked well for me.  These usually run around $30 so I was a really happy girl when I found these. 
 Along with sewing on my Churn Dash blocks I have pieced over 100 bow tie blocks for the month of February so far!  I'm hoping that I can keep up the pace and reach my goal of 1080  3.5" bow tie blocks before the end of the year.  I would love to have it pieced and quilted by the end of December but I'm not sure if my scrap basket will hold up until then.  :)  Most of them are Civil War scraps but not all of them.  I am mixing in some fabrics that blend well with them.  I'm loving working with these 2" pieces. 
Well...I guess I am off.  I have a few things to finish up in the house, like laundry before I head up to the sewing room for the night.  I am one that loves to stay on schedule and Church was canceled again this morning due to the road conditions.  That really messes with my day as I enjoy going to Church.  :(  I am sooooo ready for SPRING!!!

6 comments:

Carla said...

Would you like some Civil War scraps for your bowties? I can share mine with you from my scrap basket.

Regina said...

whaat??? Now I want to go to WalMart and see if I can find those here?! That's a steal - and I hadn't gotten myself one because of the price! Lucky duck!!!

Just wondering - are you sashing your churn dash blocks?

Deb A said...

Great deal you found! Your churn dashes look great. I really need to finish the two on the machine and make 4 more pink ones this month I think. I can't believe how many bow ties you have made this month. I can shoot you some civil war fabrics from my midget bin to help with the bow ties.

Janet O. said...

LOVE your churndash blocks, Kristie. Going to be a wonderful quilt!
I've gone through two of those Fiskars rotating mats. I think they are wonderful, but the surface doesn't hold up well with intense use. It starts to crack and chip--so it is a good thing that you have two of them, and at that price, why not???
How large of pieces do you need to make your bowties? I can sort through some scraps and see what I have in there that is big enough for you.

ruthsplace said...

What a great find! Your churn dash blocks are going to make a stunning quilt.

Michelle said...

Wow...those mats were a bargain! Good job with your churn dash blocks and bowties! Very impressive!!