Sunday, October 7, 2012

Latest addition to the family!

Here is the latest addition to my family!  It is a 1906 Singer with the Sphinx decals!!!  This photo was taken as soon as it was brought in the house.  I have cleaned it up since and it sews wonderful!
I have been wanting one for a while and a few weeks ago a good friend of mine was here visiting and we were talking about my other old machines.  I made mention that I would love to have a treadle, a hand crank machine, and a fiddle base machine.  She said, "I have a treadle that you can have if you want it"  Well.....hello!!!  Yes, I want it!  LOL!  She is not a quilter but had made a quilt top a few years back and wanted it quilted.  So I am quilting her quilt for her and she gave me the treadle.  She said she really didn't have room for it.  As far as the quilt top goes, she also brought the backing and batting for it so all that I will be out is thread and my time.  

As I mentioned the machine is a 1906 Singer.  It has the Sphinx decals on it but they are rather worn.  It has the shuttle bobbin and this is my first machine with that.  I was a little nervous at first but I found out quickly that it wasn't that big of a deal to figure out.  I sat down and cleaned and oiled the machine, adjusted the tension just a tiny bit and it sews perfect!  She said that someone in her family had took the front drawer and redid it with lighter stain.  I may have Richard to sand it back down so that I can stain it dark like the rest of the cabinet.

These things sure give your legs a workout.  Here is the funny thing, if you know anything about a treadle you know that if the wheel goes backward it will break the thread.  It took me a little work to get it figured out and get my "groove" going on this.  I was messing with it and Hunter came in there and said, "let me try it"  I told him that I didn't think he could do it because it was hard to figure out.  He sat down and the little jerk just started treadling away!  He was sewing like it was nothing!  I asked him how he figured it out, he just said that it was like riding a bicycle.  So I told him that if I decide to piece a quilt on it and my legs got tired that he could sit in the floor and work the treadle for me.  I don't think he liked that idea!  

So I have named him, Billie.  Yes, this one is a "he"  My grandfather was born in 1906 and he was very special to me, so this machine was also born in 1906 so I just thought it was fitting to name it after him.  

I'll post better photos of it tomorrow!
Kristie

10 comments:

lil red hen said...

This is fantastic!! Weren't you the lucky one! I have an old treadle that had an electic motor put on it; I'd love to have the motor removed and a new belt put on to make it treadle again. I learned to sew on a treadle machine.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Congratulations on your acquisition and getting it to work.
Treadling should *not* make your legs tired. If it does, it mostly likely says the treadles need some lubricating. I use sewing machine oil or Tri-Flow liquid everywhere metal touches metal and moves. I recommend remembering to lubricate at the base of the pittman rod.
Are you a member of Treadle-On so that you can have an entire online community to provide support?

You didn't say what model this machine is, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it!

Darlene said...

Oh, Billie is a handsome and dapper guy. Ironically, my grandfather was also born in 1906. I'm excited for you, Kristie, that it works. I have my grandmother's, sadly it no longer works. I learned to sew on it so it's full of memories for me.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am so excited about your new machine and wished I lived closer and could come and see it! I just got one too and love it. The sphinx decals look to be similar to mine...and your drawers are so beautifully engraved too.

Yvette said...

Congratulations! That sure is a beauty.

Tazzie said...

Just gorgeous Kristie, you must be entirely thrilled!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful exchange, Kristie. You each get something you want and what a happy result! I'm thrilled for you--and it even works! Lucky to have such a handy husband that can get that drawer looking like it should.
Happy treadling! : )

Julia said...

What a great deal Kristie..you each win.
Enjoy!

Terry said...

Cool sewing machine! Mine's a 1909 and looks almost exactly like yours! Although I've not sewn on mine yet. One of these days I'll give it a try! :0)

Deb A said...

What a deal of a trade! Love your new machine and it sounds like Hunter would be a great one to work it for you! (we do have kids to work for us right?) Love the name and OMGoodness. I so love your Rocky Road so far. You always have just the right mix of colors in your scrap quilts. Have a great day Kristie.