Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Preparing...

Mostly because of space issues before but, I never decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving. This morning I started thinking about my Jim Shore Santas and Snowmen.  Sooooo....I dug them out!  I will probably move them around some but for now here they are.  



I don't have many of them but I do love them.  I saw one at Lowe's a few weeks ago and fell in love with it.  It was a Nativity that stood 18" tall and that is larger than the ones that I have.  It cost $45 which is a good deal because most of my others cost that much or more, they were gifts.  I didn't buy it, but that doesn't keep me from wanting it.  LOL!  I'm sure I will live over it.  

I am very excited about spending our first Christmas in the house.  I have such big Christmas decorating dreams but they will have to wait a year or so.  Things in my house still are not finished but that is fine with me, we are living in it and that makes me happy.  Our tree, which I will not put up until around the 1st of December or so, is only a 7.5ft tree.  It looked fine before but I think it will look a little odd in the living room with a 7.5ft tree and a 22ft ceiling.  I saw a beautiful 9ft tree at Hobby Lobby when mom and I were there before she left for work.  Oh and I can't wait until we actually get our banisters up on our stairs and the balcony, I want to put some pretty garland on it.  Oh well.....I can dream....right?  :)  As I said, I'm just happy that this is our first Christmas in the house.  

Now on to some quilty stuff!  Are you doing Bonnie's Mystery quilt starting Friday?  A good friend of mine and I are planning on doing it and we have been excited for weeks.  I've decided to do mine in blues, greens, reds, brown and cream/beige.  Late last night Richard picked up the mail for me and my friend had sent me some greens and reds because that is what I had the least of.  
So now I have started adding to what she sent and pulling a few blues and browns from my scrap drawer.  
I have more blues and browns to add to the pile in my stash.  
Giggle, I added the greens and reds that were fat quarter size that she sent to my fat quarter stash.  I'll be using them in the mystery quilt but I was just playing with the fabric and wanted to see how they all looked together in my bins.  
I haven't pulled any cream/beige fabrics yet but I think I will wait and pull the rest of it once the mystery starts so that I don't have a big mess of fabric.  I do like storing my fabric this way because I can see it as I work.  

Today will be spent preparing for Thursday.  Lot's of cleaning to do on top of my other daily chores.  No sewing for me until after Thanksgiving but I'm sure by the time Bonnie's 1st mystery step comes out on Friday, I will be ready to sew!
Kristie

11 comments:

Regina said...

So excited for you - I know this "first Christmas" has been a long time coming!!!

Michelle said...

Your Jim Shores look great, and I love looking at other people's sewing rooms, and love seeing your fabric. I hope you have relaxed some. Do you have nice soothing music playing while you work?

How about if you make some kind of base to stand your Christmas tree on, that you could throw a sheet or a quilt over to raise up so that it is taller until you can find a taller one? If there's a will, there must be a way!
Be blessed!

Deb A said...

So excited for this mystery! I was thinking similar colors to your's but was not sure. Originally - blue, green, purple, brown and creams.... but I've been thinking of changing the purple to maroon. We'll see how it turns out. I have xmas stuff out at the store ad can't wait to pull some from home and change over to Christmas. Might happen Thursday night since we'll all be home to put the tree up and company will be gone by then. That would leave me Friday to sew instead of decorate!

Terry said...

I love your Santas! And I have to say you have a lovely stash! I wish mine looked like that!

Ranch Wife said...

I like Michelle's idea of standing your tree on something. We did that using a Lego table that was 2' high. It was perfect. Now we always get a real tree and we never know how tall it will be since we cut it in the forest. Everything looks small in the forest until you bring it home. :) Looks like Bonnie will have quite a crowd for her mystery quilt - I'm really looking forward to it!

Janet O. said...

I love the look of Jim Shore stuff. My brother manages a store that sells it, but I've never bought any--just admired it. : )
I remember buying garland on a post Christmas clearance sale the year before we moved into our main level of our unfinished house. I was so excited to have it for my bannister the next Christmas and then the bannister wasn't finished in time. I had to swallow the huge lump in my throat, I was so disappointed. We do get our hearts set on things for the holidays and it is hard to have our dreams not realized. But I was glad I got the $100 worth of garland for $10 when I did, and we have used and loved it every year following the "big letdown"!
I'm choosing my colors for Easy Street after I see the finished quilt--being the wimp that I am. : )

Gayle said...

I haven't been able to see any info about the mystery quilt on Bonnie's site - any way you could email me a link?

Wonky Girl said...

I think your mystery quilt will turn out wonderful.
BTW- if your tree is too short then sit it up on a low table. In our old house I draped a pretty Christmas fabric over our coffee table and put the tree there. That gave our seven ft tall tree just the right look for high ceilings.

ruthsplace said...

The Jim Shore figurines are lovely.

I love the way you store your fabric. It must be very inspirational.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Woo hoo for decorating! And I can't wait for the mystery to start! :)

debbie said...

Congrats on your first Christmas in your new home. I bet you are cooking or eating Thanksgiving dinner today though! No Thanksgiving for me anymore, it's not an Australian thing. debbie