Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Living on the edge...

 So I'm sure you are wondering where the title, "Living on the edge" comes from.  Well, everyday when Richard comes in the house, he always asks me how my day was.  The other day he asked, and I started running off at the mouth about quilting stuff and excitedly told him that I had sewn on 3 different sewing machines that day.  He laughed at me and told me that I was living on the edge.  I think he was really making fun of me but it was a little funny because I was really excited.  :)  You can see all three of the machines in the photo, my Kenmore, Singer 404, and my Featherweight.  
As I mentioned this was a couple days ago, but I used my Kenmore to sew on binding, used my Featherweight to work on some blocks for my Rocky Road to Kansas quilt, and then used my Singer 404 to make some string blocks that will be used for pot holders.  The wood crate in the photo holds my strings.  Anyway, I made a mess but it was fun.  
Here are the 10 string blocks that I made that day.  
This evening I brought out one of my White machines and pieced a few more string blocks.  As of right now I need a total of 20 string blocks to be used for pot holders.  I love all of these machines and I figure if I get them and just put them away then they will eventually be in the same shape they were when I got them....locked up or close to it.  So I plan on using them all!  
Late yesterday evening, I loaded a quilt on the frame.  It is not mine but belongs to a friend of mine.  I was really shocked when I saw the quilt because she usually uses more subdued fabrics.  This one measures 88x88.  Here it is as I was loading it on.  
A quick photo as I was quilting on it.  It is still on the frame with very little quilting done to it.  It was driving me crazy today.  It's been a while since I have used Signature thread on my machine but when I did, it sewed just fine.  She sent some Signature varigated thread to use on this quilt and my bobbin thread keeps breaking.  I've adjusted and adjusted and for the life of me, I can't figure out why it is breaking every few inches or so.  I just stopped on it until I can figure it out.  I haven't been back up there to check but now I'm wondering if maybe the thread is old or something....I don't know...any ideas?  
 Hopefully in the morning, I can get back upstairs to the sewing room and figure this out.  Stuff like this drives me crazy, I know I will lay in the bed tonight thinking about it and trying to figure it out.  :(  

I posted my Rocky Road to Kansas quilt top that I finished yesterday.  I am really pleased with how it turned out and sorta glad that it is finished.  It seemed like it took me forever even though I had only worked on it for a month.  It's almost bittersweet.  I'm glad that it is done but I'll kinda miss working on it.  I'm sure everyone feels like that sometimes when they finish a quilt.  Now I feel a little lost on what to work on.  LOL!  I know I have a million UFO's, a BOW that I need to get caught up on, pot holders to make, quilts that need quilted, and Bonnie's mystery coming up.  So I know that I have plenty to work on but I'm still feeling a bit lost.  

Hunter has his Thanksgiving Dinner at school tomorrow so I will be going over and having dinner with him.  They do this every year and it is nice that the parents get to have dinner with their kids, just wish the food was a little better.  :)  
Kristie

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

How fun to have your machines around you and be able to work on different projects on each one.
Your string blocks look good. I wish I could get motivated to work on my string quilt. I love the look, just don't love making the blocks.
Wish I had any suggestions about the thread. That would be maddening.

Vickie said...

Your string quilt is beautiful!

Wonky Girl said...

You may want to join the YahooGroup Homequiltingsystems. Recently there was a discussion about thread breaking, what to check for and adjust. Lots of very helpful info and how-to photos in files on many different quilting systems. Lots of friendly help in the group. (I mostly lurk myself but have learned a lot).

Michelle said...

The first thing I would do is completely rethread the machine, top and bottom, then make sure the bobbin area is free of fuzz. I would then remove the plate above the feed dogs and make sure there is nothing in there. If it still breaks, I would take the machine off the frame, take the bottom off the machine and make sure there is not a buildup of lint and fluff in the gears. I would oil the machine, change the needle, say a few prayers, and try again. If that fails, try new thread. Good quilting! (I don't believe in luck, only blessings!)

Deb A said...

So fun to use all three machines in one day! I love your quilt in the last post. No help on the breaking other than the rethreading. I usually use bottom line in the bobbin when using that kind of thread. Good luck.
Have a nice thanksgiving dinner at school. Your potholders came out lovely... and your room is a lot cleaner than mine!

Unknown said...

I love your blog! Have not tried this but I read that old thread needs to spend the night in the freezer and then it behaves on machines w/o breakage.

Yvette said...

You are really smart to use all of your machines. I need to start doing that. I only have three but I always use the same one.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

You're a wild woman! lol So many machines, so little time. Love the quilt on the frame, but I can't help with breaking bobbin thread. My top thread is the one that breaks all the time. Good luck!

Missy Shay said...

I like to use different machines for different sewing jobs too. I was looking at my table and thinking I really need to find a place for some of the machines, LOL.

Karen said...

How fun to have all those vintage machines to play with.

Michelle said...

I agree with those that said to rethread the machine and maybe even start with a whole new bobbin of thread. I feel your frustration!!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I think it's great that you're managing to use all those machines. I find I mostly sew on two of my treadles. Last spring I pieced a baby quilt on my Featherweight, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it was before I had the treadles. I also have several "tailed-machines" I need to keep using, but I just don't get around to using them very often. You have such wonderful machines, and I'm glad your managing to use them.