Thursday, July 30, 2015

Busy, busy, busy!

 It has been a busy past few days for us...so let's get started with a little recap.  

Saturday morning we left the house at 5am.  We ended up with a little trip to the Corvette Museum.  Andrew did not get to go because this was a last minute trip and he could not get off work.  Hunter had a blast!  This was about 4.5 hours away from home so it was a good little drive.  
 There were so many beautiful cars.  We really enjoyed the tour. 
 They had the Corvette's displayed that had fallen in the sink hole.  They were just completely demolished. 
 We all love history so on the way back we stopped by the Lincoln Museum.
 I snapped this photo of a couple of quilts that they had on display.  It was a really nice place and very interesting.  Again, Hunter loved it.
 The next stop...Lincoln's Birthplace.  This was built around the cabin to preserve it.  Shew...lot's of steps for this chubby girl.  LOL!
 It was a nice little walk up the steps and not to mention that it was 95 degrees.  LOL!  The park was such a nice place to enjoy.
 This was the cabin inside. 
 We were exhausted Saturday evening when we got home so we didn't really do anything but lay around.  

Sunday after Church, I got to work on some canning! 
 So far since Sunday I ended up canning 21 Quarts of green beans.
 7 Quarts of pinto beans, a total of 26 pints of fried apples, and 4 jars of Root Beer Jelly. 
 This is the rest of the beans and apples.  Over the next few weeks I will have more green beans and apples to can.  I also made some Apple Pie Jam a few days ago too.  I'm not sure if I posted that on here or not.  Anyway, I have been busy and I am exhausted but it feels good to be canning this food.  

Richard was off this past weekend and Saturday we were gone all day.  Sunday after Church he and Hunter brought up some wood to be split for firewood.  We usually go through 8 to 9 cords of wood during a normal winter.  He worked Monday and Tuesday and was off again on Wednesday and they brought up more wood.  It feels weird preparing so much for winter right now when it is in the mid to high 90's with the heat index well over 100, but winter will be here soon and living where we do, we need to be prepared as usual. 
I did actually work on my Halloween Stitchery a little bit while Richard was driving Saturday.  I didn't get a lot done but it is small so it shouldn't take too long to finish it.  I haven't had time to work on it at all since we've been back because of all of this canning. 

5 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Sounds like you had a VERY busy weekend for sure. We go through Kentucky whenever we're traveling and often think about stopping at the Lincoln sights ... we've been to the ones here in Illinois so it's only natural that we ought to visit the ones in Kentucky, right? ;-)

Deb A said...

Is your kitchen sweltering while you are canning? I am amazed by all you get done. How long does the food last once canned? 1 year or longer? Some day I'll have to plan a driving trip with the kids up to VT with some history stops along the way. That would be a neat one - to see Lincoln's birthplace.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are one of the few that I have seen on blogging that has enough from the garden to can! wow that is a lot.
I have been to the Lincoln log cabin and it was neat to see- such hot weather though I can't enjoy walking around when it is that hot.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are one of the few that I have seen on blogging that has enough from the garden to can! wow that is a lot.
I have been to the Lincoln log cabin and it was neat to see- such hot weather though I can't enjoy walking around when it is that hot.

Janet O. said...

I think your day trip sounds very interesting. I love to visit historic sights and museums.
Wow, girl, look at you go on the canning! I am impressed!