Sunday, December 30, 2007

Packaging Yo-Yo's

I got a "Seal-a-meal" as a Christmas gift. It's one of those Vacuum Food Storage systems. Since we process alot of our own meats, I thought it would be very handy. I had been wanting one for a while, but like everything else I just won't go out and buy things for myself. So anyway, I have been playing around with it this morning.

The instructions gives different examples of things that you can store. It said "clothing" and I thought "fabric" I know that you are not suppose to store fabric in plastic, but I thought since I don't have alot of storage space and my fabric is always a mess that I would package some of my smaller things so that I don't loose them. I was reading up on it and I don't think it will hurt anything as long as it is not long term.

So here, I packaged up some circles that I have cut for yo-yo's. Just mostly to keep them all together. There is about 250 yo-yo's here and the package is less than 1 1/2 inches thick.

I figure that will keep me from loosing them....hopefully.
Kristie

5 comments:

Cindy said...

There will be no stopping you now. I would think it's ok as long as it isn't in there forever. What a great way to keep smaller projects all together.

Jen said...

I think your use of it is perfect. I think the problem with fabric is it being folded and in there for a lifetime. Like you wouldn't fold up a prize winning quilt/heirloom in one because you'd get the creases in there forever. We make quilts to enjoy them not keep them pristine so I don't think it would be a big deal to keep some things in there.

Anonymous said...

Kristie,
I think the fabric will be fine in the plastic since all the air is taken out. I am sure you will not have it in there long, knowing you! Great idea to do that... I love my 'seal a meal' it sure comes in handy when buying meat in bulk at Costco! I tend to stock the freezer for a few months with it.
Deb (vtquilter)

Amelia said...

That is a neat idea. I agree since there are no folds in the fabric I don't see where it would hurt any.

Hey, what happened on the "Pig" problem the other day? Did you just fix up your half?

Norma said...

Oh wow, I never thought of sealing my fabric. It would take up less space and keep all the pieces together. Then if you are careful, you can reseal the bag once it is open if you make it large enough. Great idea!