Friday, July 15, 2016

A new project....

First off...LEO came home!  If you read my last post you know that our boxer, Leo ran off and was missing.  He did eventually come home.  He had followed that female stray off.  :(  He is home and we are all very happy.  

Played around with a few Garlic Knots.  Very easy blocks since I already had a bunch of 2" squares already cut from scraps.  So basically all that I had to do was cut the background.  I think right now I have 35 or so blocks.  
I have a customer quilt on the frame that I am working on.  I actually just loaded it yesterday.  It is a big quilt, 104x104 and all hand pieced.  This is her first quilt.  I will post pics as I work on the quilting.  

We will be taking a little vacation soon and I am so excited about that.  It's been a long time.  :)  I'm trying to decide what to take with me to work on.  Only going to be gone for a few days but I still need something to work on.  I was thinking of taking my hexagons but I glue baste them and I love the glue basting vs thread basting BUT we are going to the beach so I'm thinking that if I would on them while on the beach that the heat may melt the glue and they would come loose.  I don't know yet, but I think I read that somewhere.  I could also take some applique but not sure that I would have time to do the prepping before we go.  Or...I could take my Halloween embroidery piece.  Hmmm...I will have to dig that out because that might be a good option to work on. 

Anyway, our little vacation is a secret as we are just going to surprise Hunter.  He doesn't read my blog so I think it's safe to post on here.  Speaking of Hunter, his school starts back August 3rd.  :(  He will be a freshman this year.  :(

After vacation, I have a few projects that I have to get done.  I have put them off long enough.  One is a baby quilt for our new great nephew.  Sadly he is a month old and I still don't have his quilt done.  Another project is a memory quilt that will be made from plaid shirts that belonged to our assistant pastor that passed away a few months ago.  I loved this man dearly and while growing up they were our next door neighbors so we were always very close to this family and kids.  His kids are my and Richard's age.  I just dread working on this in a way because I know I will end up getting very emotional.  

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Good news about Leo, Kristie!!
Your Garlic Knots blocks look really good. I have seen this pattern around blogland lately. It does look fun.
A vacation to the beach--sounds like fun! I think the embroidery project sounds like a good option, too. Very portable, and not affected by heat or sand. : )

Gayle said...

Good luck deciding on which project to take on vacation. I took some wool applique and some hexies to stitch and got very little accomplished. But that's okay, because I did a lot of relaxing instead! LOL I'm loving your garlic knot quilt - what a simple block with big impact! So glad about your dog!

---"Love" said...

I really thought (hoped) your dog would return home; so glad he did! Your quilt blocks are looking very nice; interesting fabrics too. ---"Love"