Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Quilts, Gifts, and Veggies

 Yesterday I quilted this KING size quilt.  Sorry it's blurry but it had lots of fun fabrics and a solid purple backing.  I enjoyed quilting it.  I quilted it with a beautiful purple Glide thread. 
I finished up the baby quilt that I had been working on and gifted it on Saturday.  I didn't end up going to the baby shower but I took it and dropped it off at Amy's house early that morning.  This is for her grandbaby.  She took it on to the shower for me.  I'm not going to post pics of them opening it as they were very emotional and just loved it.  I feel that it's kind of a private thing.  My brother and SIL, videoed and sent it to me and then others sent some pics.  :)  I'm glad it was well received. 
 The precious baby boy is due in January...or maybe it's February.  LOL!  I think I mentioned in a previous post that it was made with a few scraps of our Assistant Pastor's shirts and he passed away almost 2 years ago.  This would be his first great grandchild.  We are very close to this family and we grew up together. 
 First thing this morning, I need to do something with all of these peppers and green tomatoes...and a few apples.  LOL!  This is the last of everything!  This pic was taken AFTER my sister filled up a bag and took home.  LOL! 
 After I get all of this taken care of, I will be piecing a backing for another KING size quilt.  I do charge extra for that but I'll be honest...I don't like doing it at all.  Almost to the point of it making my nauseous.  LOL!  That's probably a little dramatic but I don't like doing it at all.  I think I am going to just tell people that I no longer do that and they need to piece it beforehand.  Like this one, it's 10 yards of FLANNEL!!!!  That I have to piece in 3 sections.  I just don't like doing it.  LOL!  Oh well....  I will also be using a new panto design for this quilt.  The customer bought it but I'm not sure how well that I will like quilt it.  LOL!  I'll let you know on that one too.

I also think I will be going to town with mom today.  She is still sick but feeling a little better.  I think she is getting stir-crazy and needs to get out of the house.  So honestly, if I go with her to town, take care of all of those veggies, and then piece that huge backing, load it on the longarm...that is probably all that I will get done besides my usual household chores.

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like you need to have people start to piece their own backings or charge for the wide backs and use those. Piecing a backing can be time consuming. Sounds like the baby quilt was very well received! such a special gift! love all those veggies - so colorful

Danette said...

I do my own quilting and piecing the backing is one of my least favorite things to do, also. So I don't blame you, I think you should have them piece their own backing, also. After all, it's their quilt. Your baby quilt seems very special to the recipient.

Janet O. said...

That is wonderful that the baby quilt was so well received. A very thoughtful gift!
Looks like a pepper farm exploded into your kitchen. My goodness, that looks delicious. :)
I would definitely have people provide a finished backing. No need to take on something so unpleasant to you. After all, the customers obviously know how to sew--they are making quilts, right? LOL