Sunday, November 4, 2007

Carpenter's Star

The morning started out very cold. Got up around 6:30am and it was 26 degrees. Did a couple of things around the house, then got the boys up to go in to town with me. I left Richard asleep since he is so sick. I had to run to the bank and the grocery store. I usually do all of that on Fridays but town was so crowded yesterday, so I got up early so we could beat the crowd. I still didn't get everything that I needed, the boys were fighting constantly and I was a nervous wreck.

Returned home and found Richard up and in his recliner. Fixed him coffee and breakfast and put the groceries away. Andrew brought in a load of firewood and Richard built a fire in the fireplace. After a while Richard, Andrew and Hunter took Andrew's deer head to the taxidermist to get it mounted. While they were gone I hit the couch!!!! When they returned Richard went out to his building and made this for Andrew's deer to be put on. It will be several months before the deer is ready. The boys had a great "Daddy Day", but Richard was very weak and shaky when he got back.

I picked up a few movies while in town this morning, so after dinner we started watching them. Andrew decided he wanted to go rabbit hunting, so Richard and Hunter ground up some of Andrew's deer meat for burger while I sat there and sewed. It was kind of funny, we were both sitting at the kitchen table. I was on one end sewing and they were on the other end grinding up the meat.

Anyway, I think I had a pretty good evening. I cut this "Carpenter's Star" and sewed it together all in just a few hours. It is a very easy and quick pattern to make.

I think maybe in the morning, I will add a couple more borders. Right now it measures 50x50, but think I will add a small green border, maybe 2 inches wide and then about a 6 inch pink border. Then as soon as I get more batting I will probably just stipple it. I have a bag of queen size batting, but I hate to use it on this small of a quilt, it would be such a waste.

I guess that is about all for now.

Kristie


7 comments:

Gina said...

It's nic ethat the boys had a 'daddy day'. Every now and again Gemma and malcolm have a day together and they both really enjoy it.
I'm glad that richard is feeling a little better but he mustn't overdo it or it'll take him longer to get better.
love and hugs xxx

Cindy said...

It sounds like everyone in your family had a great day yeesterday. Your carpenters star turned out really pretty. That is one that is on my to do list too. Make sure that Richard doesn't overdo. It takes alot of rest to get over pneumonia. He's got to take it easy.

Amelia said...

Your work on the carpenters star is very, very pretty.

Michelle said...

The Carpenter's Star is awesome! I'm happy the 'boys' had a great day, and the deer plaque looks great too! Tell Richard to be nice to himself and take it easy!

Unknown said...

That star is very beautiful.

Moneik said...

I love the plaque. It is so perfect for mounting! Great job on the carpenters star.

Jen said...

Your carpenters star looks great! You're going to have to tell me how you did that triangle border because I couldn't get mine to line up so I just did half square triangles and cheated. I can never tell if I need to edge them up or down.