Friday, January 5, 2018

Depression Quilt...

 Yesterday didn't go exactly as planned but I will fill you in on that in a few minutes.  First off...I pieced a few string blocks!  :)  I'm not sure if this is a project that I will work on constantly or just in between other projects.  This is an "anything goes" quilt. 
 Here is my big string tub that I posted a pic of yesterday.  It is up past my knees.  Just whatever that I pull out goes in the blocks.  I was discussing this with one of the boys and they said, "so it's kind of like a depression era quilt, right?  LOL!  Yes....nothing goes to waste.  So I guess I will lovingly call this my "Depression Quilt"  So far you can't even tell that I have used any out of this tub. 
 While working on these other projects the past few days, I have ended up with 14 more Windmills.  I have been piecing the Windmills as my leader and ender project.  I need a total of 528 windmill blocks and I now have 290...so I need 238 more to go.  :)
 So my plan for today is to get the borders sewn on the Churn Dash quilt top and the Now or Later quilt top.  I have the borders cut, just not sewn on.  I want to get that done today and also work on a few more String Blocks.  

I had mentioned that Hunter had an orthodontist appointment really early yesterday.  His appointment was at 8:40am and it's almost a 2-hour drive.  Richard was getting ready to leave for work and the phone rang at 5:30am and it was a recorded message from the orthodontist office saying that I needed to call and reschedule his appointment.  I've never had a doctor's office call that early of the morning to reschedule.  LOL!  It was just weird.  :)  So anyway...I still need to reschedule that appointment for him.  

There wasn't school yesterday or today.  Actually he hasn't had school all week because of the cold temps.  I let his sleep in a little while yesterday since his appointment was canceled and then made him go with me to the grocery store.  LOL!  He was not happy.  :) 

By-the-way...today my brother turns 50!!!  LOL!  John is actually 4 years older than I am and I have to say that he is the best big brother in the world.  There are 3 of us siblings and we are extremely close and I love that.  He loves to give me a hard time but I guess that is what big brothers do.  LOL!  He even tells everyone that I am the oldest.  I've even had people tell me that they thought I was the oldest because John had told them that a few years back.  LOL!  Crazy thing.  :)  

4 comments:

julieQ said...

I just love scrap quilts, and you make the best ones ever!

Janet O. said...

It may be a depression era style quilt, but it is anything but depressing. It sings with color, and I love the pops of purple.
I think your windmill quilt will be much bigger than the one I am making with leader/enders. Not sure if I will even hit 350 blocks. :)

Barbara said...

My brother once got tired of answering someone's questions so when she asked about me he told her I'd died.

I love to make string blocks. Love the color of your blocks.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Keep working at the strings and the pile will decrease. You might also have enough blocks for a king sized quilt and many other quilts too. At least the orthodontist called before you had left home. That would have been very frustrating to have driven all that way for nothing! Happy stitching today.