Tuesday, January 30, 2018

It's not meant to be pretty...

 Saturday I was digging out some fabric for my SIL that she had gave me years ago that had belonged to her grandmother.  The fabric was not cottons but other things and Kellie is planning on making a Crazy Quilt so I offered her the fabric back since I figured it would have more meaning to her.  Soooo....while I was digging for that I an on to some big flannel squares that I had.  I had bought them years ago at a little place that sold remnants and cut offs.  I had made a quilt out of some of them before and I cut them up in smaller squares.  It wasn't really pretty but it is so warm and cozy.  They are really good quality flannels and then I backed it was a soft muslin.  So with the odd leftover big squares I'm just going to sew them together.  It is not meant to be pretty but just useful.  I guess more or less a utility quilt.  Not sure if I will back it with soft muslin or flannel. 
 In the first quilt I used the beige print and the upper print that has small purple flowers.  This one I will be using the beige print and the blue/green print.  That is what I have the most of so if I need to I will also throw some of the other in.  LOL!  

I loaded this customer quilt on the longarm.  She hand pieced it from clothing as a memory quilt.  She always wants a large stipple done on her quilts.  I started quilting it and I was having some tension issues.  I think part of it was the fact that it is all pieced from t-shirt fabric and polyesters with no stabilizer.  It is very stretchy too. 
Then this happened...
 Yep...I got my hopping foot hug in one of the seams.  :(  The stitches are pretty big so I really have to watch and missed this one.  :(  So after that....I just quit for the night.  It was time to walk away for a while.

I need to get it done soon so that I can move on to something else.  I have other customer quilts and also some of mine that I would like to quilt soon.  I have dug up backings for 4 of my quilt tops so far.  I mentioned a few posts back that my goal was to quilt at least 15 of my own tops this year.  I've already quilted 3 of them so far.  So I'm on a mission!  LOL! 

4 comments:

Panto Pam said...

Ugh! I hate it when that happens! Its great you found those backings and get to your own quilts soon! Can't wait to see which ones you picked. I am hoping to start getting one of mine loaded today.

Ranch Wife said...

You are on a roll this year! I have to disagree about your patchwork quilt...I think it's going to be wonderful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never seen a grandmother's flower garden with t-shirt fabric before - hope that will be easy to fix but yes sometimes best to step away and start fresh the next day

Janet O. said...

I love a good, cozy flannel quilt.
A stretchy grandmother's flower garden quilt sounds like a real challenge! Very frustrating to have the hopping foot get stuck like that!
Just thinking, Kristie--by the time you have your 15 quilt tops quilted you will probably have finished 15 more tops! LOL