Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Nearly 2000 Bricks!

 Hi guys!!!!  Sorry it's been so long between posts so hopefully I still have some readers.  Wow!!!  What a busy Christmas season!  I did get all of my customer quilts finished on December 23rd...nothing like getting down to the wire.  LOL!  I didn't post because some I could post pics of before Christmas and some I could not so I just got overwhelmed and quilted but did not post.  

Now that the rush is over, I took a week off after Christmas to clean and organize my studio.  It was horrible!  While doing that I found some blocks that I wanted to play with and that ended in a finished quilt top!  Man did it feel great getting to do some sewing for ME!  
I absolutely love working with scraps! I was gifted some new-to-me scraps and it renewed my interest in working on this quilt.  Making scrap quilts is my favorite thing to do but sometimes it gets old when it seems like you are working with the same old scraps.  I can't tell you how excited that I was for new scraps. 
Each piece was cut to 2"x3-1/2" and sewn into this top.  It measures 94x108 and has nearly 2000 bricks in it. 
 I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  Now I can't wait to quilt it but I need to see if I have a backing for it first.  :)
 I also stitched up these strips of Novelty scraps for a kid quilt.  I actually made two sets of strips one that is more girly and one that is more boyish.  I need to see what I have that would work for sashings and borders.  Not sure what I will use these for yet...gifts or donations...
 One of my Christmas gifts was these awesome lights to go over my longarm.  I had some up there but they did not put out much light.  I love these!!!!
 I think I mentioned before that my mom was supposed to have surgery on her shoulder but she hasn't had it done yet.  She to have some pre-surgery testing and then the surgeon refused to do the surgery right now because her blood pressure and blood sugar is staying too high.  Hopefully we can get that under control and she can get something done.  On top of that, she is sick right now with a touch of pneumonia.  :(  Richard checked her lungs yesterday and said that he could still hear a little bit of wheezing in the one lung.  

Hunter had is oral surgery Dec 27th.  He did really well and has had very little pain from it.  He is 15 but still had a baby tooth that had not came out.  The permanent tooth was turned sideways up in the roof of his mouth...nowhere near where it needs to be.  So they had to pull the baby tooth then go through the thin eggshell bone in the roof of his mouth to get to the permanent tooth.  They then had to attach a bracket and hook a chain to the tooth and that chain will be attached to his braces to get it pulled into place.  They said this is not an unusual procedure and that they do it often.  He goes Thursday to his orthodontist to have the chain and stuff hooked up.

Hunter was supposed to get back to school today but they canceled it due to the cold temps.  He is excited to be home again.  :)

I guess that is all for now...I promise I will be posting more often now that my Christmas rush is over.




6 comments:

julieQ said...

You know I just love your scrap quilt, Kristie! Happy New Year!

Deb A said...

So nice to hear from you! Lots going on at your house. Love the quilt and hope you have lots of quilting for you this year.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Boy time just goes by too quickly. Sorry to hear about your mom and hopefully to can get her BP and sugar numbers under control. Bet you can see so much better with those new lights. Wishing you a happy, healthy new year

Janet O. said...

An absolutely wonderful scrap quilt, Kristie!! I could stare at it all day! So nice that you finally got to do some sewing for yourself. :)
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope things can be remedied so all is well again (the pneumonia, the blood pressure, blood sugar, AND the shoulder).
Sounds like a tricky thing going on in Hunter's mouth. Glad it has gone well so far.

---"Love" said...

Your scrap quilt is so special! Makes me want to try one. I've been considering a postage stamp scrappy quilt, but short strips like yours would be faster, wouldn't it? Great idea! Hope your family's various health problems are over with soon, and that all of you have a great New Year, with lots of quilting time for yourself! ---"Love"

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've been thinking about you, wondering where you were, life just gets busy sometimes. I love your scrappy quilt. I completely understand about working with the same scraps. The new lights in your room look wonderful, what a gift. I hope your mother is feeling better and her blood sugar comes down. She is fortunate to have a caring daughter and son-in-law close by to care for her. I had never heard of Hunter's tooth procedure before. I hope all goes well with with all your family in 2018. Everyone needs you but take time for yourself too. Blessings. Gretchen