Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Sewing with anxiety...

 Yesterday's sewing started early.  If you look at the pic below you can see that it was barely turning daylight.  Richard had just left for work and we had a snowstorm coming.  

First off, I sewed the flannel binding on the jean quilt and now it is ready for the handwork.  
 Then I sewed the binding on to the Road to Jericho quilt.  Now it is also read for the handwork.  I love hand sewing on binding.  
 By this time it was daylight.  Here is my view from my machine.  If you look real close you can see one of the horses.  They LOVE getting out and playing in the snow.  They were in and out all day.  It's funny how much they love playing in the snow. 
 By this time I was having some anxiety.  If it was going to get as bad as they were saying then I knew what this would probably mean for Richard.  So I just kept sewing...

I got 2 more stars sewn...
 That takes me up to a total of 7 of those. 
 Anxiety and ADHD do not mix well.  LOL!  I bounced around all day worse than ever.  I found some small string blocks that I had worked on a while back.  These are 4" blocks so they are rather small. 
 I added those blocks to what I had and here they all are laid out. 
 Digging around some more I decided to cut out some applique cats with my Accuquilt GO!  I already had a few orange polka dot cats cut but then I found these batik and other bright scraps in my scrap basket and decided to cut some of those. 
 This one is my favorite!  I'm thinking that as I get batik scraps that I will cut out some cats until I have enough for a kid quilt. 
 Here are some that I already had cut so I think I will keep them and maybe do a small baby quilt with them.  I didn't get a pic but I did sew a couple to a white background. 
 As the day progressed, the weather got worse.  In the end we had several inches of snow, falling temps and they declared a Level 3 Emergency.  Even our 24-hr Walmart closed for the evening.  

When this happens and Richard is scheduled to work the next day he is supposed to stay at the hospital because it is their policy.  That way the employees are already there.  With a Level 3 Emergency it is emergency vehicles and people only that can travel the roads without a fine.  Richard was allowed because he is a nurse but it was NOT recommended.  

Now....in 18 years we have never spent 24 hours apart.  I knew that at this point it would be smarter and safer for him to stay at the hospital.  Several texts and calls later he still didn't know what he was going to do.  I did a whole lot of praying because I knew that if he thought he could get home that he would be here.  In the end, I thought he was going to be staying there.  Then I saw him walking down the driveway!!!!  Oh my!  I lost it and got all emotional.  :)  He had to park at the end of our driveway.  His normal 45 minute commute ended up being a 90 minute commute.  I'm not saying that this was the smartest decision but I was sure happy to see him.  Trust me, I also thanked the good Lord above for keeping him safe.  Now as I type this he is on his way back to work.  I am praying for safe travels this morning.  I did notice that they had downgraded to a Level 2 Emergency.   

Hunter had a friend come over on the 4-wheeler through the hills.  They were out and about most of the day in the snow.  Funny thing, when they came in I offered them something warm to drink and Wyatt said, "can I have a jar of pickles?"  LOL!  He loves my pickles!  He always eats pickles when he is here.  :)  That boy cracks me up!

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you neck of the woods got it pretty bad. Glad you hubby made it home ok but then had to go back out :( glad you have your quilting to help keep you sane - I would never be able to function on as little sleep as it sounds like you get!

Janet O. said...

You may have bounced from project to project, but it looks like you were very productive in your anxiety driven sewing.
Glad Richard was safe!
BTW--those are cute kitties, and I agree on the favorite. :)

---"Love" said...

I really like the way you left those seams in the jean quilt, and I love that string quilt more every time you show it! Hope you and all the family stays safe in the bad weather. I worry about my sons, DIL, and grandsons when they are on the road too, and so far, they've had no problem. Last night was our coldest night in 12 years! ---"Love"