Saturday, February 9, 2008

Quilting and Farm Life

Today is the day that we are butchering the hog! I promise no nasty photos of that, I know that is not for everyone. But here it is something we enjoy and the meat is so much better when you do it yourself.


But first...I got up early this morning and sewed my 6 strips together!!!! So here it is!!!



I can't believe that it has taken me so long to make this. But anyway here it is and I know that I still need to add a border but I will get to that in a few days. I'm just happy to get this much of it done! This cold has really slowed me down on everything. Needless to say, my February To Do List will not get finished this month!!


So before I run outside to start cutting this thing up, here are some farm photos that I took earlier today!


Here is the pig that we are butchering today. He weighs about 350 lbs not as big as the last one that we butchered but still big enough.


This is Bullet, our stud horse, standing very proud!

Of course, this is my baby, Jim!! This was taken about 6am this morning while we were out feeding!
Old Fred, our bassetthound. I couldn't catch Ida Belle to get her photo, she is too hyper!

Stormy! This is one of the horses that Richard bought for me. He is such a big baby too. he is one of the horses that the boys show during the summer.
Here is Beauma! She is in the lot with Storm and thinks she runs this farm! This is Autumn! She is trying to play peek-a-boo with me, I think! She is the other horse that the boys will be showing in the Summer. She has to stay in the stall because she has full plantation shoes on, they weigh about 4 lbs a piece. They have metal bands that cross her hoof to help keep them on. We have them on her now so that we can work with her and have her ready for show.
This is Rogjo and Henrietta. These to never stray away from each other.
I guess that is enough for now, I'd better get busy!!!
Kristie







12 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you mean by "show" the horses? I think I am going to confess to you that I am afraid of horses I get terrified if there is no fence between me and them :( By the way your Bargello looks great...

Amelia said...

The quilt is exceptional!

So enjoyed the tour of the farm and all the critters.

Pork chops for tomorrows dinner? Enjoy your fresh pork. Are you smoking/curing any?

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Oh the jealousy I am feeling right now. First...you're not knee deep in snow. Second..you have so much space. Third...that Bargello is wonderful. I'm sure there is more that I'm jealous of, but I'll stop there. Are you feeling better? It sounds like it...hope so..
Regina in Knee Deep Snow Michigan...LOL

Cindy Larson said...

Wow! I love that quilt! All those little squares! Nice Job. Good to hear you're feeling better. Great photos of all the critters. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy

Cindy said...

Your quilt turned out fantastic. I only hope to make one someday that turns out half as good. Thank you for the pictures of "everyone" I really enjoyed seeing them. OK why does the one horse wear these heavy shoes? I know it has something to do with showing him but what?

Jen said...

Your quilt looks great...but wow what a lot of work for a scrappy quilt I never would have finished. Man, I can't believe you showed us a picture of your food. I'm ok eating it if I don't have to look at the face that it came from! I suppose I would get over it though.

Gina said...

I love seeing the pics of all your animals. I'm glad that your cold is getting better. I'm still well in the throes of mine and getting nothing done.

love and hugs Gina xxx

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Good luck with the butchering!

Saska said...

I only have three panels of my bargello put together---so you're ahead of me!
The last pig we had butchered was about 320. I think a steer is next to go in.

Moneik said...

The bargello is awesome. Good luck getting it finished up.

Anonymous said...

We had to stop by for a long time. My daughter is such a horsegirl. Well she loves any animal with four legs *lol* She is 10 and and asked if she could please borrow two photos of your horses for her on-line stable? I'll try to explain: On the net, girls have imaginary stables with horses. They do exhibitions as well and she would love to copy two photos and use them in her "stable". She will change their names.
If you say no, we respect that :o)

By the way, I quilt myself, that is how I'd found your blog. You do marvellous quilts!

jillytacy said...

The horses are beautiful but really how could you not fall right in love with Fred? His sweet little eyes and those long basset ears, I think I'm in love. He's so cute!