Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Working On Applique!

The boys are home from school again today! We finally did get about 1 inch of snow!!! The school system allows so many snow days but they usually have to make up a few extra days. There are so many hills and backroads in this area that it make travel very hard. So with the boys home, I didn't get alot of sewing done.

I did clean up my sewing table and put a few things away. But I have been working on my Baltimore Blues January Block on and off today. I got January and Februray's blocks cut out and ironed down, so now I need to stitch around them. Now applique is something that I don't do alot of. I love the look of applique, but seems that all of my quilts end up being patchwork. I started a BOM with my guild a few months ago and needless to say that didn't last very long. I am still on the first block. So when I saw this new Baltimore Blues BOM, I just knew that I HAD to do it. So I practiced on some scraps first and then started on my block today. Now I really feel like a beginner!!! I have my machine on the slowest speed that it has and it is really taking me a long time, but I am not comfortable going any faster right now. So I figure it is better to go slow and do it right instead of ruining it by being in a hurry. You really can't tell that much about it in the photo but I have the purple in the center flower done and part of the dark purple in the top left corner. I really like how it is turning out but I am glad that their is only one block a month to do! That way maybe I won't get behind!!!


I can't work on it very long at a time, my eyes must be getting worse or something. I think I am trying to focus on the stitches too much. I have glasses but seems like I am having a hard time seeing my stitches. The lighting isn't the best in the world either, I think I need to pick up a light to sit by my machine.
Kristie

9 comments:

Moneik said...

That's very pretty Kristie! I don't do much applique, but I think it is so time consuming. I'm not a slow sewist. I like to go full speed ahead, so I really have to be patient when I do applique.

Amelia said...

Applique is very time consuming...both hand and by machine as I have done both. What are you using to hold your cut pieces in place on the back ground piece?

I sure like the color combination...but most anything blue falls into my favorite category.

Cindy said...

You're doing a great job on it. I sew slow that's just my speed and when I do applique or button hole stitching I go even slower. I just love the block but I keep telling myself NO you can't take on another block of the month.

Bethany said...

Applique is time consuming either by hand or machine. Yes, it is hard on your eyes so take frequent breaks.

Your block looks wonderful :)

Cindy Larson said...

Any quilting time is better than no quilting time ;) Are you blind hemming (invisible) appliqué or doing the button hole stitch? My machine is too to do the blind. Hem stitch small enough me.

Maureen said...

Happy Valentine's Day a day early Kristie!

Carla said...

Your applique block is turning out beautifully! I'm starting Beth Ferrier's BOM in a few days and will be doing machine applique, too. It's a combination of pieced and applique so it should be fun.

Unknown said...

It is a must to have good light so buy yourself a lamp.

Jen said...

Do they have to add these days onto the end of the year or is that part of the reason why they start so early in August?