Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Day With Mom And The Boys

Today has been a nice day! The boys didn't have school today. The bus driver called at 5am this morning to tell me that there was no school because of the snow. I get up and there is NO snow!!! They were predicting snow for this area and it was flurrying, but nothing on the ground. I think they thought we would get a big one. So the boys were just thrilled too death.

Andrew needed new shoes for school. I don't know what it is about boys but they are very hard on shoes. So this was the perfect day to go shopping, I would not dare try to pick his shoes out by myself. He is 14 and you know how 14yr old boys are. I called mom and she wanted to go too. She came out and picked us up and we headed to Paintsville.

First stop...the shoe store. After 45 minutes he finally decided on a pair! Mom had already given up on him and headed to the clothing store next door. After that we went to Big Sandy Furniture. Mom is looking for a new couch and chairs for her family room. She just bought a new set for her living room a few months ago. It is soooooo nice, but it is mostly for looks, they don't even sit on it. So after walking around the store forever she narrowed it down to 3 different ones. She told them she would call them back in the morning and let them know. But I know mom, there is no way she will decide that quick.

We did a little more shopping and I bought me a quilt magazine. I have a million, but they are just like fabric, you can't have too many of them. I also picked up some more fabric and stablizers.


Then finally Hunter wanted to stop at McDonald's for a happy meal. We were sitting there eating and it was pretty crowded, I just happened to look up and saw this old man smiling at me. Now I'm sitting there with my mom and the boys and I'm confused as to why he keeps looking at me. Then he walks over there to our table......it was my GRANDFATHER! Now that should tell you how many times that I have ever saw him. It is my mom's dad. I think at first she was confused too. So he talked for just a few minutes and went back to his table. We finished our meal and was still sitting there and he came back. He was talking to the boys and pulled out his wallet. He gave them $50. They were excited, because they are only kids, but I was thinking....they have needed a grandfather for years not money.
I could talk on this subject for hours. Long story short....he left when my mom was 2 and she is now 54. He remarried soon after and has several kids with his wife. He never came around all of these years until recently. They lived in Ohio and about 10 yrs ago, he moved back to try to have a relationship with my mom. They talk from time to time but evidently not enough to recongize each other. My biggest problem with him is....he is a self-made millionaire and thinks his money can buy anything. But that money can't replace the time and love that my mom missed out on.
Oh well, I will stop complaining....
Kristie

10 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

As they always say... you can pick your friends but not your family.

Unfortunately, it seems every family has a few unwelcome relatives.

Amelia said...

Sounds like you spent quite a day. It definitely had its ups and downs.

I sure like your fabric choices. They look like some I have in my stash. One can not have too much fabric put away. In fact I bought some more last week when I was in town.

Melanie said...

Family is tough - don't you remember when it seemed like a happy meal could fix just about anything? Sounds like you were a good example....your kids were watching....

Melanie said...

Family is tough - don't you remember when it seemed like a happy meal could fix just about anything? Sounds like you were a good example....your kids were watching....

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Very odd deal with your grandfather. Carol's right - you can't pick your family!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting day. You can't pick your family but I'll bet he was very proud looking at his daughter, granddaughter and greatgrandsons! Too bad he missed out on all the ups and downs in your lives, but that is his loss. It sounds like both you and your Mom handled it with class.

Moneik said...

You got a lot done today! It's too bad about your grandpa, so people think money buys happiness. Glad to hear you handled it well.

Jen said...

Wow, That's so odd about your Grandfather. That had to be so uncomfortable for you and your Mom. You did good though with the way you handled it.

Unknown said...

How sad. There are a lot of people that think money can buy everything both love and happiness.

Norma said...

Sad thing is, this man is the loser in all this. Your boys will remember the guy who gave them the cash, not the great grandfather who was part of their life. So sad.......

Glad part of the day was fun......buying fabric always makes for a good day!