Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hunter's Quilting Adventure!

I mentioned a few days ago that Hunter, my 5yr old son, wanted to make a quilt. This really excited me since he is such a "Daddy's Boy" and he thinks that Mommy is boring. So the other day I let him practice on this little machine that I picked up at a thrift store for a couple of bucks. It has a slow speed so it is perfect for him.

I found some "Tony Stewart" fabric today while going through my stuff and I cut it up into 9 inch squares. I also cut some 9 inch solid orange squares for him to sew with it.

I actually figured that he would quit after a block or two, because he is sooooooo hyper and doesn't sit still for very long, but he loved it. I had to make him stop because I only cut out part of it. He ended up sewing 3 rows tonight! My plans are, after he gets the top sewn together, then I will let him tie it, instead of machine quilting it. That way he can say that he did it all himself.

There is no school again tomorrow, due to the weather, so he willl probably finish his top tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
Kristie

11 comments:

Amelia said...

That is wonderful! Even if he tires of sewing after this "creation" at least he will have learned some of the very basic steps.

I know you will show us pictures.

Cindy said...

WAY TO GO HUNTER. That is so awesome and I can't wait to see your quilt finished. There are quite a few very talented men quilters and they even have their own quilt show I believe once a year. Keep up the great work.

Gina said...

Well done Hunter, you should be so proud of yourself. I know you're Mom is.

love and hugs xxx

Michelle said...

Good for you, Hunter! Did you have fun? Looks like you did a good job, and I can't WAIT to see your finished quilt!

Anonymous said...

Wow, he is quick at sewing and completing things just like his Mom! Glad he is enjoying making his quilt.
Deb (vtquilter)

Jen said...

OH I'm so proud of Hunter!!!! I think it's great that he's trying something new. You know, if he takes to this, you could teach him how to do a pillow case or pj pants...imagine the pride he'd have in that!! OR, what about making his very own Halloween Costume...I mean it is like 10 months away. He probably has more patience with it than a girl would at his age.

Moneik said...

Wow! Way to go Hunter! I'm so proud of him and all he got accomplished today. Plus he picked a great driver!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Wow, it's great to see the enthusiam child have for learning something new. What a bargain, and a memory he will treasure for ever.

Keep us posted on his progress. Can't wait to see the end result.

I've only just begun to quilt and I"ve merely completed two rows of a corduroy top and 2 BOM's. He's kicking my butt.

Nancy said...

What fun for you to have Hunter wanting to do some quilting too! We'll be looking for an update on his progress.

Maureen said...

Wow I am impressed....Go Hunter Go. Can you post a picture of what he has done?

Jenni said...

That's great. My 8 yo nephew likes to paint and draw, so I am always trying to get him interested in fabric. Simple quilted postcards seem to be a good thing to do with kids as they're quick and they get the excitement of posting it.