Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Playing Around

Not alot of quilting going on here. I have been playing with my new machine. I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to figure it out and playing with the embroidery. And it has 68 decorative stitches when you convert it over to the regular sewing. I don't use alot of those, but they are nice to have. My old machine has a bunch on it too, but the one stitch that I needed a few months ago none of my machines had. It was the "blanket stitch" and I wanted to use it to do my machine applique on the Santa BOM. This new machine has it!!! So that made me happy. Now maybe I will start working on the Santa quilt again.


A few of you have asked about the Disney designs. It has 27 built in Disney designs and alot of other designs too. I know there are some very expensive embroidery machines out there that would be alot nicer, but I just can't spend that much money on them and I am very happy with the one that I have. It will do what I want it to do, so I guess that is all that matters.

As you all know the only thread that I have is Black, right now. It came with a spool of white bobbin thread. So everything that I do is Black. I plan on buying a few different colors along. Last night I took it out to Mom's and set it up to show her. She really liked it. Here is one little thing that I played around with. I know the black roses are a little creepy, but that is all I had. :)

I'm already thinking of Christmas gifts for this year. Maybe do some embroidery on the corner of a fleece blanket, pillowcases, towels, etc....

Mom gave me an idea last night of making quilt labels. That is something that I may try too. What I like about the embroidery is when you program the design and start it, you can go do whatever until it is done. Like this morning, I was embroidering a design, I hit the start button and got up to eat my breakfast, when I got back it was done.

Can you tell that I am still excited? I'm just shocked that I actually spent the money. I never buy anything like that.
Kristie

13 comments:

Amelia said...

This just makes me want to go out and buy one. I could not justify buying one of the real expensive ones - but one on the lesser end (price wise) would be great.

Keep on playing and showing use the results...even if they are in black.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Hi Kristie!
That 9 patch you asked about on my blog...I found it online at:
http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/10/crazy_about_qui.html
I think that will take you there... If not...let me know.
You got me looking on line for an embroidery machine...stop that...I can't spend any money right now! LOL Just kidding ... I love seeing what you're doing with it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want one too! I will be patient though. I'm still excited about getting my first sewing machine. JJ bought it for me several weeks ago. Before this I was using my mom's or my mother in law's machines.

Jen said...

I'm like you, if I were to get an embroidery machine I'd opt for a lower end one because it's not something I would use all the time; more of just something to play around with.

You know, the black roses aren't all that creepy...if you were to put them on say a deep red fabric it could be smashing.

Bethany said...

I like the black roses. I'm so glad you are having fun. I almost want one, but I really don't need one.

Hazel said...

You've got us all wanting one now LOL ,I love the roses ,the black is not creepy to me at all.I can see some nice star blocks with the middle square having a embroidered picture in it .You could do a kids quilt ,with the Disney characters on it .Let your imagination run wild can't wait to see what you come up with .

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Well I guess you talked me into it. I have looked at it alot, like you researched it online and found mixed opinions. The deciding factor will be if you like it and enjoy it. I already had lots of ideas of things to make and always told myself that I had other things to work on and didn't need it. Guess I will be watching for sales. Once I get moved and settled finances work themselves out I'll look again.

Heather

Michelle said...

Awesome, Kristie! I too, do not think the black roses are creepy. I can tell you are having fun, and that is awesome too! Congratulations on your new machine!

Norma said...

Very cool! I have thought about a embroidery machine but am not sure I would use it enough to merit the expense. I know with little ones though, there are all kinds of uses for it.

Looks like so much fun thought!

Cindy said...

I like the black roses it turned out really neat. I can't wait to see what you make next especially with all the Disney motifs.

Melanie said...

Think about all the great quilting labels you can make for the backs of quilts.....

Hazel said...

Kristie on one of the other blogs a lady said to us coffee filters as a stabilizer I tried it on my regular machine and it worked great and was very easy to take off after .I wonder if you could use one on your new machine ,it's worth a try in a pinch .

Unknown said...

That is nice, yes I can see that you are excited but who wouldn´t be having this new machine :)